Advisory Board 2019-2020
The purpose of the Penn State Scranton Advisory Board is to advise and assist the Chancellor, relative to the functioning of the Campus as an essential part of the University. Also, this Board shall support the Campus and serve as a liaison with the community and advocate for Penn State University in the community.
- Corey O'Brien - Chair
- Vice Chair
- Kimberly Bogdan - Treasurer
- Marwan A. Wafa, Ph.D. - Secretary
Anthony Aquilina, DO, MBA, Regional President, Geisinger Northeast
- Education: Dr. Aquilina is a 1982 graduate of The Penn State University.
- Occupation: He currently serves as Regional President, Geisinger Northeast including Geisinger Community Medican Center, Geisinger Wyoming Valley, Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre and Geisinger Marworth Alcohol & Chemical Dependency Treatment Center in Northeast Pennsylvania.
- Commnunity Involvement: Dr. Aquilina oversees strategic growth and planning for Geisinger delivery system services for the Northeast Region and is accountable for its excellence in clinical care, operational efficiency and financial success
Honorable Michael J. Barrasse
- Education: University of Scranton; Dickinson School of Law
- Occupation: Judge in the 45th Judicial District of the Court of Common Pleas of Lackawanna County
- Community Involvement: Recipient of the PA Trial Judges Award for Efficient Caseload Management (Golden Crow Bar Award); the 2006 PA Psychological Association Public Service Award; 2007 John J. Baldi Award for excellence in program evaluation and review, which promotes the enhancement and development of service and support for persons with mental disabilities; Women's Resource Center Public Service Award
Robert Beard, EVP of UGI Corp. and President & CEO, UGI Utilities, Inc.
- Education: Robert earned a Bachelor’s from The Penn State University;1989 and a Masters from PSU; 1994.
- Occupation: Robert is an accomplished executive with more than 25 years’ experience in the energy industry.
- Community Involvement: He has proven track record of providing strategic direction and transformational leadership while driving meaningful P&L growth. He has significant experience leading integrations and continuous improvement initiatives.
Richard S. Bishop, ESQ
- Education: B.A., Penn State University, 1968; Juris Doctor, Temple University School of Law, 1971
- Occupation: Principal at the law firm Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn since 1985, with an emphasis in corporate, business and finance, commercial transactions, probate/trust, real estate, and Marcellus Shale matters
- Professional associations: Member of the Lackawanna Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, and the Wilkes-Barre Law and Library Association; admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Superior Court of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Courts of Common Pleas, United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and the United States Tax Court
- Community Involvement: Member of the board of directors for the ARC Foundation of Northeastern Pennsylvania, the Salvation Army, the Advisory Board for M&T Bank, and the Schwartz Mack Charitable Foundation; vice president and chairman of the government affairs committee for the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce; president of Amos Lodge of B’nai B’rith; past president and current member of the board of directors of Scranton’s Temple Israel; past president and current member of the board of directors of Jewish Family Services of Northeastern Pennsylvania
Robert F. Durkin, President & CEO of The Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce
- Education: Penn State University; U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Institute for Organizational Management at the University of Delaware
- Occupation: President and Chief Executive Officer of the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce.
Darlene Dunay, DO
- Education: Dr. Darlene Dunay was awarded a Bachelors of Science Degree in Biology, with high honors, from The Pennsylvania State University and a Doctor of Osteopathy from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Occupation: She currently operates a general practice in Old Forge, specializing in primary care and treating patients from pediatrics through geriatrics, with a special interest in Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy.
- She is an active staff member at Regional Hospital and Commonwealth Moses Taylor Hospital, both in Scranton; a courtesy staff member at Allied Rehabilitation Hospital; and serves as a school physician for the Old Forge and Pittston Area school districts.
- Community Involvement: She is involved in a number of professional organizations, including the American Osteopathic Association; the PA Osteopathic Association; the Pennsylvania Medical Society; the Lackawanna County Medical Society; and has served as a member of the American Osteopathic Association’s House of Delegates since 2012.
A proud Penn State alumna and former Student Government Association president, Dr. Dunay is a former Chair of the Penn State Scranton Advisory Board; is a lifetime member of the Penn State Alumni Association; and is a past Penn State Worthington Scranton Alumni Society Alumna of the Year. She established The Darlene Ann Dunay Annual Scholarship to provide much needed financial assistance to PSSN students.
Lisa Durkin, Chief Operating Officer, United Neighborhood Centers
- Education: Lisa holds a Bachelor’s Degree in social work from Mansfield University.
- Occupation: Ms. Durkin has been an employee of UNC since 1998 when she was hired as a Housing Counselor. In 2007 she was promoted to Director of Community Services here she supervised over 20 crisis intervention programs serving the needs of low-income families and individuals. In 2010 she became Chief Operating Officer and developed an Education Department and Community Health Department within the agency.
- Community Involvement: She chairs the Housing Coalition of Lackawanna County and serves as a member of Women in Philanthropy, the PROSPER team and various committees addressing community needs.
Mary O. Garm, Administrator, Lackawanna County Library System
- Community Involvement: Scranton's Pages and Places Book Festival; the Scranton Women's Network Committee of the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce; vice chair of the PA Governor's Advisory Council on Library Development; past president of the PA Library Association and recipient of its Distinguished Service Award.
Jason Hanyon, D.M.D.
- Education: B.S., nutrition, Penn State University (1998); doctor of dental medication, Temple University (w/high honors, 2004)
- Occupation: Dentist with Century Dental Associates
- Community Involvement: Member, American Dental Association and the Pennsylvania Dental Association; Ommicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society; Temple University Stomatognathic Honor Society; Temple University Oral Surgery Honor Society; Temple University Endodontology Society; Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges at Temple University School of Dentistry in 2002-2003. Penn State Scranton Alumni Society’s 2014 Alumnus of the Year.
- Education: Penn State University, 2005
- Occupation: School Psychologist for the Valley View School District, Archbald, PA
- Community Involvement: Board member, Women's Resource Center, Scranton; Junior League of Scranton.
Louis Ingargiola, President, I & M Wealth Advisors
- Education: B.S., Finance, Penn State University (1992)
- Occupation: President and founder of Ingargiola Wealth Management Group, Dunmore, PA
- Community Involvement: Past president and long-time member of the Penn State Scranton Alumni Society; member of the campus’ Campaign Committee; Alumni Fundraising Committee; Hammond Society member of the Penn State Smeal College of Business; Scranton Chapter of UNICO National; past consultant for Junior Achievement; lector, extraordinary minister and member of the finance council at St. Anthony’s Church; Penn State Scranton Alumni Society’s 2011 Alumnus of the Year
Jason Kavulich, Director, Lackawanna County Department of Human Services
- Experience: Jason brings 19 years of experience within the human service field, progressing from a county caseworker through supervisor and administrator positions within the Lackawanna County Office of Youth and Family Services and is currently the Director of the Lackawanna County Area Agency on Aging.
- Community Involvement: As a human services professional he has dedicated his efforts to ending food insecurity, homelessness and improving access to services and cultural opportunities to the residence of Lackawanna County through his active board participation with the United Way, Pennsylvanians for Aging, Food policy Council, Continuum of Care, Lackawanna County Pro Bono, and the Anthracite Heritage Museum. He is a graduate of the University of Scranton and a lifelong resident of Scranton Pennsylvania.
Robert Luciani, Head of Specialty Markets & Retirement Counseling, Prudential Retirement
- Education: B.A., Penn State University; FINRA Series 6, 63, and life and health Insurance licenses
- Occupation: Managing Director, Key Account Management, Prudential; sales officer of the Prudential Trust Company; and a NJ, NC and CT Governmental Affairs Agent
- Community Involvement: Board of directors -- Scranton Cultural Center and The Institute for Public Policy & Economic Development.
Michael Mahon, Superintendent, Abington Heights School District
- Education: Michael has a B.S. Education, University of Scranton; M.S. School Administration, University of Scranton, Ph. D. Human Development (Administration), Marywood University; M.B.A. University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Community Involvement: He belongs to a few organizations: Board of Governors Pennsylvania Association of School Administrators; Board Member Skills in Scranton (Workforce Development) and The College Board-Pennsylvania Advisory Group.
Frank Marcos, Vice Chairman, Deloitte Tax, LLP
- Occupation: Vice chairman at Deloitte Tax, LLP (New York City); leader -- OCEO Strategic Clients
- Community Involvement: Board member of Deloitte Tax LLP and member of the Deloitte Tax Executive Group
Ann Jennings McDonough
- Education: B.S., early childhood/elementary education, Penn State University; master’s in educational administration, University of Scranton; Superintendent Letter of Eligibility, Marywood University.
- Occupation: Retired, Scranton School District principal
- Community Involvement: Lifelong member, Penn State Alumni Association; the Greater Scranton Penn State Chapter; PSWS Ridge View Society; president of the Society of Irish Women
Timothy Meagher, Broker/Owner, RE/MAX Wayne
- Education: Penn State alumnus
- Occupation: Broker/owner of RE/MAX Wayne and RE/MAX Best locations in Honesdale and Damascus, PA
- Community Involvement: Board member, Wayne County Chamber of Commerce; member and past board member of the Honesdale Area Jaycees; past board member and volunteer of the Wayne County YMCA; volunteer with Rachel’s Challenge.
Judge Julia Munley
- Education: Julia is a graduate of Marywood University and the Dickinson School of Law.
- Occupation: In June 2016, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf nominated Judge Munley to a vacancy on the Court of Common Pleas of Lackawanna County created by the retirement of Judge Robert Mazzoni. A month later, upon the unanimous recommendation of the Pennsylvania Senate Judiciary Committee, the full Pennsylvania Senate voted unanimously to confirm her nomination. In November 2017, Judge Munley was elected to a ten-year term by the voters of Lackwanna County.
Corey D. O’Brien, VP For Legal Affairs/Strategy, Allone Health
Education: A 1996 Penn State graduate, O’Brien received his law degree from Catholic University’s Columbus School of Law. He is currently the vice president and chief strategy officer at AllOne Health where he serves as in-house corporate legal counsel, leads the acquisitions division of the company and oversees the strategic project management office.
Occupation: Prior to joining AllOne Health, O’Brien served as a Lackawanna County Commissioner from 2008 to 2015. Corey O’Brien also served as a mergers and acquisition attorney in the financial services sector at the Washington, DC-based law firm of Kilpatrick, Townsend & Stockton.
O’Brien is a authorized to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, District of Columbia and before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Federal and District of Columbia Circuits and the U.S. District Courts for the Middle District of Pennsylvania and District of Columbia.
Fred M. Powell, EVP & CFO Antares Pharma
- Education: B.S., Accounting, Penn State University (1983) PSWS alumnus; Penn State University Scholar
- Occupation: EVP, Chief Financial Officer, Antares Pharma
- Community Involvement: Treasurer of the Youth Orchestra of Bucks County, member of the finance council Redeemer Lutheran Church
- Penn State Involvement: Guest presenter for PSWS business students; Life member, Penn State Alumni Association; endowed the Powell-Freeman Family Scholarship; Ridge View Society.
Michael A. Rescigno, Managing Partner/Owner, MRR Realty LLC.
- Education: Michael is a 1979 graduate of the Pennsylvania State University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting, and has a Masters Degree in Finance from the University of Scranton.
- Occupation: Currently, he is Managing Partner/Owner of MRR Realty LLC, a real estate investment business where he is responsible for all aspects of the business.
- Community Involvement: Michael currently serves on the Penn State Scranton Campaign Committee, on the Board of Directors of Greater Scranton Chapter of The Penn State Alumni Association, and on the Board of Directors of the Scranton chapter of UNICO National, where he serves on National committees.
Donald J. Rinaldi, BEDA Companies
- Professional Experience: Donald J. Rinaldi is a Real Estate Builder and Developer who has a specific passion for large scale, historic re-development projects that help to revitalize and sustain communities.
Donald is a licensed General Contractor and he has spent the last 20 years of his career gaining expertise in all areas of real estate including but not limited to acquisitions, Commercial & Professional office space sales and leasing, Property Management, Consulting, Land Development, Commercial & Residential Construction, and historic building rehabilitation.
- Community Involvement: Donald has also given his time outside of his business to help strengthen the community by serving on many non-profit and for-profit Boards. Most recently, Board of Directors Scranton Cultural Center, Regional Hospital of Scranton Board of Trustees, Founding Member and Board of Directors Anthony J. Rinaldi Jr. Foundation for Children with Cancer, Lackawanna County Workforce Investment Board, Past President & Chairman of the Board Scranton Tomorrow, Board of Directors Scranton Chamber of Commerce.
Nancy Sarno de los Rios, Part Owner of Este Rux Inc, DBA Sarno and Son Tuxedos
A lifelong resident of the greater Scranton area, Nancy is part owner of ESTE TUX, Inc, dba Sarno and Son Tuxedos. Working alongside her brother and a talented team of managers, ESTE TUX has grown to be the premier tuxedo rental company in the Northeast US. ESTE TUX now serves wholesale customers and network partners from Maine to Virginia-Ohio to Long Island, employing over 300 in our peak season. The company will celebrate 80 years strong in 2020.
As with any family business, Nancy plays many roles in the company. Her main responsibilities surround the administration of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Human Resources. Nancy grew up in the business starting at age 12, providing a lifetime of experience.
Nancy enjoys serving on the Executive Board of the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce.
Jahan Tabatabaie, Real Estate Professional/Adjunct Professor, Bellefonte Associates/University of Scranton
- Education: Jahan is a Schreyer Honors Scholar, he received a BA in Economics from The Penn State University, 1999. He has a Masters in International Affairs, Program in Economic Policy Management, School of International Affairs, Columbia University, 2000.
- Occupation: Jahan has over 15 years of experience in Real Estate including Management, Sales, Leasing, Research, Investing and Financing, for Commercial and Residential properties. Jahan teaches part-time at the University of Scranton and he also taught at Penn State Scranton.
- Community Involvement: Jahan is an active Board member of the Lackawanna County Workforce Investment Board and served as Vice President for the Penn State Scranton Alumni Society. He is a member of the Greater Scranton Board of Realtors, PA Realtors Association and National Association of Realtors.
James Tates, President & CEO, United Gilsonite Laboratories (UGL)
- Education: B.S. degree from State University of New York College at Cortland, MBA degree from Villanova University.
- Occupation: President and CEO of United Gilsonite Laboratories (UGL)
- Community Involvement: Past member of the Lackawanna Industrial Fund Enterprises (LIFE), past Chairman of The Houston Clean City Commission, past member and co-founder of the Texas Water Smart Coalition.
- Penn State Involvement: UGL Corporate, Penn State Scranton Scholarship Donor
James F. Thomas, President, Thomas Communications, Inc.
- Education: B.S., communications, Marywood University
- Occupation: President and founder, Thomas Communications, Clarks Summit, PA
James W. Thomas, CPA, Partner In Govt Contracts, Pricewaterhousecoopers, LLP
- Education: B.S., accounting, Penn State University; PSWS alumnus;
- Occupation: U.S. Advisory Aerospace & Defense Sector Leader and partner in government contracts practice, PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP in McLean, VA
- Community Involvement: Guest presenter for PSWS business students; Ridge View Society member
Dave Tomassoni, Sales Director, Packetfabric
- Education: Dave is a graduate of The Pennsylvania State University with a BS in Marketing, May, 1992. Dave begun his studies at the Penn State Worthington-Scranton Campus where he studied for two years before transferring to the main campus in State College, PA.
- Career: He has always remained an astute business person and recognizes future trends within the internet and telecommunications sector.
- Dave recently joined a next generation software defined network start up based in Culver City, CA.
Kim Bogdan; John Drake; Scott French: Durell Johnson; Brad Kovaleski; David Lucas; Jeffrey Mallas; Casey McGhie; Renae McNair; Marwan Wafa;
Ray Alberigi; Joseph M. Alu; Kimberly Barrows, CFP, CLU; Maureen Beilman; Donald Bernstein; Elizabeth Bonczar, Ph.D; Richard Bovard; David K. Brown, J.D.; Dean L. Butler; Jerry Champi; Kristin A. Connolly; Warren Davis, V.M.D.; Dominick DeNaples; Louis DeNaples; Jonathan Fritz; Ann Hawk; Frank Hubbard; Michael R. Kushner; Fred Lettieri; Peter Loftus; Richard Marquardt Jr.; John Martines; Mary McNichols; Christopher Metzger, M.D.; Gino Mori, M.D.; Michael Narcavage III; Sally O'Brien, J.D.; Carolyn Pencek, Ph.D.; David Sanders; Walter L.Schautz; Maryla Scranton; Patrick Sheridan,CPA; Suzanne M. Thomas; Richard M. Walsh; Stephen Weissberger, D.D.S.; Mary Beth Wood and Jemille Zaydon