Faculty and Worthington Scranton students

Travel Information

Travel Information

Pre-Approval Process

All faculty and Academic Affairs staff are required to complete an Employee Travel Form/Worksheet for the ERS System form prior to traveling. 
In addition to the appropriate form you will need to include supporting documentation and submit all paperwork to the Assistant Chief Academic Officer (ACAO) and receive notification of approval by the Director of Academic Affairs (DAA) prior to completing any travel that will be charged to a Penn State Scranton budget.
Because the same form version will be used for both the authorization and the reimbursement process we ask that you note in the Business Purpose field if it is an authorization request or a reimbursement request. 
You must include the funding source to be charged. If the funding source is not included the form will be returned to you for completion.

The Employee Travel Form/Worksheet for the ERS System and supporting documentation should initially be submitted to the ACAO, Dr. Michael Evans. 
The ACAO will review the request and forward the documents to the DAA, Dr. Durell Johnson, for final review. You will be notified of the decision by email. If any questions arise during the review process you will be notified via email. This includes travel supported by a RDG or TDG.

To determine current travel rates (mileage) visit http://guru.psu.edu/home.cfm

If you submitted a travel request to support presentation of research, please forward the correspondence to the ACAO that states your paper, concept or research idea has been accepted for presentation at the specified conference.

If you submitted a travel request for professional development, please forward to ACAO and a one paragraph summary of how the concepts, methodologies, knowledge learned from the conference will be applied to a course that you teach or research project you are conducting (this process is similar to RDG and TDG funding requests as both of these also required a summary be submitted at the end of the project or travel). Please forward this summary within two-weeks of your return.

Travel Authorization Form Directions (ERS Travel Worksheet)
1.   Faculty and Academic Affairs staff are to complete the personal and travel information fields at the top of the Employee Travel Form/Worksheet for the ERS System. The Report Name should provide a brief description of the trip.  The Business Purpose and Notes fields are to be used for explaining the purpose and justification of the trip. Because the same form version will be used for both the authorization and the reimbursement process we ask that you also note in the Business Purpose field if it is an authorization request or a reimbursement request.  Access/User field please enter your 9-digit PSU ID number.

2.    The Travel Itinerary should list your departure and arrival destination for the day of departure and the day of return.  Layovers or connecting cities do not need to be included unless you plan on incurring travel expenses associated with overnight stays (e.g., Lodging).

3.   Estimated expenses should be entered under the “Amount” column with an indication as to what will be covered by PCard and personal expenses.  Cost savings measures when traveling by car are provided below.

4.   The University’s Meal per diem rates and policies will mirror those of U.S. government employees. In addition, the ability for travelers to take a voluntary reimbursement reduction to adjust to actual meals will continue to be encouraged. 

As part of the alignment with government policies, employees on official travel will be reimbursed 75 percent of daily per diem on their first and last day of travel of multi-day trips. 

Users will continue to create itineraries that will automatically calculate the allowances, and the Meal Per Diem Expense worksheet on pg. 2 of the ERS worksheet may be of assistance in calculating per diem expenses.

Further information regarding per diem can be accessed at https://psu.app.box.com/per-diem-change-docx/

Per IRS regulations, the single day meal per diem will also continue to be taxable income to the employee.

When using a PCard for individual meals (or other travel charges not requiring a receipt), travelers must prepare their own ERS report if they do not wish to submit the respective PCard receipts.  When preparing the ERS report, travelers will be responsible for confirming receipts match PCard charges indicated in ERS which must be pulled into the travel report. Travelers will submit the report indicating they are verifying the charges.

If a traveler uses Academic Affairs staff as a delegate to prepare the travel report, the traveler MUST submit PCard receipts regardless of the charge as the delegate cannot confirm the accuracy of charges against receipts if the receipts are not submitted. Please note, receipts are not being used to verify per diem expenses.  Rather, receipts are needed to ensure accuracy of posted charges.  Once the report has been submitted by the traveler and approved through the system the receipts will be destroyed by the delegate or returned to the traveler.

Please note, group meal receipts during travel must be uploaded into ERS regardless of who prepares the report.

5. Cost Savings Measures for Travel by Car

The following outlines the options available to you when traveling by car. These options are effective as of August 1, 2018.

Preference #1 - Campus Fleet Vehicle:
We have a fleet vehicle at the campus and are looking to maximize its use. If the campus fleet car is available, we would ask that you use it. A reservation request can be made on our webpage.

The campus is charged $0.35 for any miles over 1,000 for the month, so if the campus fleet vehicle does not hit 1,000 miles in any given month your budget would not be charged for the use of the campus fleet vehicle.

In addition, there are times when the Admissions department has a fleet vehicle available for use. Please contact Admissions directly to make arrangements to use that vehicle.

Preference #2 - Enterprise Car Rental:
If a campus fleet vehicle is not available, your other option is to use Enterprise to rent a car for the day at a current rate of $34 for a mid-sized vehicle. Enterprise will drop off the car and pick it up or you can go pick up the car on your own. Their phone number is 570-348-2040.

Please remember to refuel the rental car. You can use your Purchasing Card to refuel the rental car, just keep the receipts and complete your travel report in ERS or have your delegate complete it for you. You can only use your Purchasing Card for the purchase of gas when refueling a rental car.

Personal Vehicle:
If you choose to use your personal vehicle in lieu of the preferences listed above, you will only be reimbursed at a rate of $50/day OR the current University reimbursement rate (currently $.545)/mile, whichever is less.

6.  For miscellaneous expenses ("Other"), the three lines under the heading should be used.  If necessary, you may combine miscellaneous items on one line. However, a total estimated amount should be entered in the "Estimated Amount" column. Please note your estimated expenses will be totaled on the "Total Estimated Travel Expense" line.

7. Please include supporting documentation for every estimated expense put on the document. For example, if including an estimated expense for your personal vehicle, please include a Mapquest or similar document showing the miles that are expected to be traveled or if you will be staying overnight for your trip, please include documentation from the hotel website about the cost, etc. If this is not done, you will be requested via email to supply the necessary documentation. To determine current travel rates (mileage) visit and use this link https://ers.psu.edu/ 

8. If you are receiving funding from non-campus sources (e.g., University department, professional society, grant), please list each next to the appropriate heading with the totaled amount received from each source.  If receiving funding from multiple sources of the same type (e.g., two grants), please list each grant but enter the total amount of funding in the "Amount" column.  If the funding is coming from the campus, please list the discipline (e.g., College/Department: Business).  

This information must be included on the form in order to charge the appropriate discipline budget.  If the funding is coming from a PDG, RDG, or TDG, please indicate on the “College/Department” line.  

Please note your funding from "Non-Campus" sources will be summed, and the total amount requested from the campus budget will be adjusted accordingly.

9.  Once you have completed the authorization form, please print the form and forward the form with the necessary documentation (see below in Approval and Reimbursement Procedures) directly to the ACAO. Your signature is not required.

10. Please direct any questions to either the ACAO or the Academic Affairs Office.

International Trips
International travel is required to be registered in the Travel Safety Network (Note: The Travel Safety Network review includes the export review).

The University will no longer reimburse international travel that is not registered and requires your registration receipt to be submitted with your authorization and reimbursement forms.

Please visit the Penn State Travel Safety Network (https://tsn.psu.edu) to register your trip (This process is required for all international travel after June 30, 2016).

Additionally, review the Travel Safety Network brochure for more information. For information on countries that are considered dangerous enough that Penn State’s insurance will cover travel to these destinations, please visit https://controller.psu.edu/risk-management/misc

It is also recommended that international travelers register their travel through the US State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at https://step.state.gov/step/. This free service is designed to keep US travelers connected to the nearest American embassy or consulate in case of a disaster or an emergency.

Lodging costs for international trips is based on the OCONUS rates and should be entered in the Lodging OCONUS worksheet found on pg. 2 of the ERS worksheet.

Reimbursement Process for Travel
The Employee Travel Form/Worksheet for the ERS System has to be completed and submitted with required receipts to receive reimbursement for approved travel requests.

The Business Purpose and Notes fields are to be used for explaining the purpose and justification of the trip. Because the same form version will be used for both the authorization and the reimbursement process we ask that you also note in the Business Purpose field if it is an authorization request or a reimbursement request. Access/User field please enter your 9-digit PSU ID number.

Print completed form and submit with all itemized receipts and supporting documentation. All itemized receipts are to be properly organized by date and taped to an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper if they are smaller than an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.  Do not staple the smaller receipts to form.

*Expenses will not be reimbursed if you do not have itemized receipts.*

**Airfare comparison chart to determine when additional supporting documents are required. **

All non-PSU employees are required to use the Non Employee Travel Reimbursement Form.

Submit all documents to Mary Lance in Academic Affairs with the exception of the Nursing Department. The Nursing Department should submit all post travel documents to Mary Runco.

Reimbursement Process for Non-Travel
The Non-Travel Reimbursement Form should be utilized to ensure accurate tracking of non-travel discipline expenses. As such, purchases charged directly to discipline budgets should be approved prior to making the purchase.

Please note grant purchases DO NOT require submission of this form. These purchases follow the guidelines established by the grant and can be submitted directly to Academic Affairs once they have been made).

Reimbursement Approval through ERS
Once the documents have been entered by Academic Affairs into the Employee Reimbursement System you will receive an email notification from ERS letting you know the data has been entered and your electronic signature is required.

The email will be from: AutoNotification@concursolutions.com

You will be required to log into ERS at https://ers.psu.edu/ to review and submit your travel.  

  1. Click on the link in the e-mail message. This will take you to the ERS Website.
  2. At the ERS Website, click the Log In link located on the upper left area of the screen.
  3. Enter your Web Access User ID and Password.
  4. In My Concur look for Active Work section.
  5. Select the desired report by clicking on the report name.
  6. In the Expense List screen check expenses.
  7. Select the Receipts link on the right to review receipts.
  8. When satisfied with the accuracy of the report click the Submit Report link located on the upper right area of the screen.
  9. Selecting Accept & Submit in the Expense Certification window is your electronic signature confirming accuracy of the expense report.  The Accept & Submit link is located in the lower right area of the window.
  10. Next the Report Totals window opens. Check the Amount Due Employee for the amount to be direct deposited and the Amount Owed the Company for an amount that may be a payroll deduction.

You will receive email updates as the report advances through the approval process.

If you incur any problems or have any questions you can contact the ERS Helpdesk at 814-863-9713.