Campus Cost Savings Measures For Travel by Car
The following outlines the options available to you when traveling by car:
|NOTE: As of June 1, 2022, the “Travel by Car” campus policy has been amended. Travelers are now subject to the following policy: (1) Check if a campus fleet vehicle is available to use for your travel. (2) If a fleet vehicle is unavailable, then travelers are to arrange for use of an Enterprise/National car rental. (3) If neither a fleet vehicle or a rental can be obtained (or is not practical i.e. car parked at airport for air travel), then a privately-owned vehicle can be used. Please note if requesting funding to use a privately-owned vehicle, travelers must document in the authorization request that they were unable to secure the fleet vehicle for use and provide documentation that a rental car is unavailable (air travel aside). The POV rate of $75/day is effective as of June 1, 2022, to accommodate the increase in current gas prices. This is a temporary increase which will be reevaluated as needed.|
Preference #1 - Campus Fleet Vehicle:
If the campus fleet car is available, we would ask that you use it. Submit a request for University vehicle.
- The campus is charged $0.35 for any miles over 1,000 for the month; so if fleet vehicle usage does not exceed 1,000 miles in any given month, your budget would not be charged for the use of the campus fleet vehicle.
- You can also contact the Admissions Department directly to see if their fleet vehicle is available and to make arrangements accordingly for that vehicle.
Preference #2 - Enterprise Car Rental:
If campus campus fleet vehicles are not available, your other option is to use Enterprise to rent a car for the day at a current rate of $34 for a mid-sized vehicle. Enterprise will drop off the car and pick it up or you can pick up the car on your own. Their phone number is 570-348-2040.
- Travelers can also book car rentals at https://sapconcur.psu.edu/ or the direct link to Enterprise Car Rental.
- Penn State employees login with PSU ID and password to obtain discount information.
- Please remember to refuel the rental car. You can use your Purchasing Card to refuel the rental car. Gasoline receipts for rental car fuel are required to complete your travel report in SAP Concur.
- Please note Purchasing Cards can be used for the purchase of gas when refueling a rental car. Gasoline is not reimbursed for personal vehicle use. (Use of a personal vehicle is reimbursed via mileage calculation.)
Preference #3 - Personal Vehicle:
- If you choose to use your personal vehicle in lieu of the preferences listed above, you will only be reimbursed at a rate of $75/day OR the current University reimbursement rate, whichever is the lesser of the two. The lesser of the two is determined by calculating the mileage from the campus to your destination vs. your home to your destination - whichever is the shortest distance of the two will be used to determine your reimbursement. Support documentation to make that determination is required when submitting a funding request. Please note as stated above the rate of $75/day is effective as of June 1, 2022, to accommodate the increase in current gas prices. This is a temporary increase which will be reevaluated as needed.
- Standard Mileage Reimbursement Rate for business purposes for calendar year 2023 has been increased as of January 1, 2023, to 65.5 cents/mile.
- Reimbursement rate for moving purposes for calendar year 2023 is 22 cents/mile.
- Reimbursement rate for mileage driven in service of charitable organizations is 14 cents/mile.