Authorization Document Process (Travel or Virtual)
The Travel Authorization & Reimbursement Form, which also serves as the reimbursement form after travel, should be completed and submitted with all required supporting documents.
|Please note: ALL TRAVEL FUNDING REQUESTS ARE TO BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY WITH SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED AS ATTACHMENTS. LINKS TO WEB SITES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. PLEASE SEND SCREENSHOTS OF THE NECESSARY COSTS OR SUPPORT INFORMATION ONLY. THE MORE CONCISE AND ACCURATE THE DOCUMENTATION, THE MORE EXPEDITIOUSLY THE FUNDING REQUEST CAN BE PROCESSED.|
Each section of the travel form should be completed as follows:
- Your name
- User access (abc123)
- Report Name (Conference or training event/description of trip)
- A screenshot of the conference name, location, and dates should be sent via email as one of your support documents.
- Only attach a copy of your notification of acceptance or a screenshot of your presentation schedule. Complete conference programs are not needed nor should they be sent as part of your support documents.
- Business Purpose (reason for attending)
- Notes - In this section, it is important to indicate that this is an Authorization Request when submitting for approval (or Reimbursement Request afterwards once travel is completed). This is also where you should indicate any additional information that may be necessary to process your request; such as, if you will be traveling with a colleague who is funding the rental car expense or you will be using a campus fleet vehicle. This would explain why ground transportation support is not being requested vs. having been forgotten when preparing your documents.
- Itinerary - Travel Itinerary should list your departure location and arrival destination for the day of departure and the day of return. Layovers or connecting cities do not need to be included unless you plan on incurring travel expenses associated with overnight stays (e.g., lodging).
- Indicate if any personal travel is involved and if so, provide the dates
Line Item Expense Details
- Insert expected costs per respective line item
- As an attachment or screenshot, support documentation must be submitted for every estimated expense for which you are requesting funding. Only that information which is relative should be sent. Unnecessary documentation not relative to the request or expense will delay the authorization process.
- Please refer to traveling by car for current mileage rates and important cost saving measures.
- Airfare quotes should be submitted using Anthony Travel. If personal travel is involved, comparison costs are required. One quote for conference travel only, and comparison quote that includes the personal time. The lesser of the two quotes would be applicable.
- Insert estimated expenses under the “Amount” column indicating which expenses are expected to be covered by your PCard or out-of-pocket.
- Campus funding: Please list Cost Center or Internal Order number under “Budget” and discipline or fund name under "Fund Name". Insert total under “Amount”. If using multiple campus funding sources (PDG, RDG, TDG, etc.) list each separately.
- Non-campus funding sources (e.g., University department, professional society, grant): Please list each source individually under the “Fund Name” with total amount received for each source under “Amount”. Please note your funding from "Non-Campus" sources will be summed, and the total amount requested from the campus budget will be adjusted accordingly.
- Insert total Conus/OConus per diem rates. Per diems for each individual travel date should be listed on page 2 and summarized on the respective line items. See Meal and Lodging Per Diem Policies below. Rates for both meal and lodging per diems can be found at sapconcur.psu.edu. The links are in the right-hand column on the SAP Concur landing page.
- Other - For miscellaneous expenses, the three lines under the “Other” heading should be used. If necessary, you may combine miscellaneous items on one line. However, a total estimated amount should be entered in the "Estimated Amount" column. Please note gratuities are already included in your allowable daily per diem rates (Incidental Expense).
Meal Per Diem Policy
- The University’s meal per diem rates and policies mirror those of U.S. government employees.
- Employees on official travel will be reimbursed 75 percent of daily per diem on their first and last day of travel of multi-day trips (in alignment with government policies)
- Page 2 of the travel form should include the per diem rates for each day of travel, keeping in mind the 75% F/L day reduction. The meal per diem rates will show the first/last day rates in the far right column. That rate is inclusive of the $5 incidental monies. For instance, if the rate is $59, meals are $54 and incidentals $5.
- Place a check mark in any meal that is provided while on the trip; such as conference meals, inflight meals, etc. For example, if the conference fee includes a breakfast or lunch for each day of the conference or you requested separate funding for a conference dinner event, a check mark should be placed in the corresponding square for breakfast/lunch/dinner for those respective days. This reduces the per diem payable to you since this cost is already factored into the cost of the conference fee or airfare paid or paid separately for an event and is not in addition to your travel expense.
- The single day meal per diem will also continue to be taxable income to the employee, per IRS regulations.
- Meals are based on per diem rates. The ability for travelers to take a voluntary reimbursement reduction to adjust to actual costs if lower than per diems will continue to be encouraged.
Lodging Per Diem Policy
- Domestic lodging is based on actual costs not to exceed per diem rates
- International lodging is based on the per diem rates.
- Voluntary reimbursement reduction to adjust to actual costs will continue to be encouraged.
After all the required documentation and information are submitted, your request will be reviewed and you will be notified of the authorization status by email. If any questions arise during the review process you will be contacted by email.