The International Travel Process
The travel process as defined on the "Travel Authorization Process", "Documents Required", and "Reimbursement Process" tabs apply to international travel along with the following additional requirements:
- All International travel must be registered with the Penn State Travel Safety Network, TSN (Note: The Travel Safety Network review includes the export review).
- Please visit TSN to register your trip.
- The University will no longer reimburse international travel that is not registered.
- Proof of filing with the TSN must be submitted with your authorization request.
- TSN email confirmation that you trip was approved must be submitted at the time your reimbursement form is submitted.
Ideally, the final confirmation should be submitted at time the authorization request is submitted, but proof of registration will be accepted to obtain travel approval, final confirmation is a must for reimbursement.
In addition to the above registration requirements, please
- Review the Travel Safety Network site for information on restricted countries and resources for traveling abroad
- It is recommended that international travelers register their travel through the US State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This free service is designed to keep US travelers connected to the nearest American embassy or consulate in case of a disaster or an emergency.
Lodging and meal costs for international trips are based on the OCONUS rates and should be entered in the Lodging OCONUS worksheet found on pg. 2 of the travel authorization worksheet. Rates can be found at https://sapconcur.psu.edu/. The ability for travelers to take a voluntary reimbursement reduction to adjust to actual costs if lower than per diems will continue to be encouraged.