The B.S. Degree in Business
The business degree can be completed entirely at Penn State Scranton. It is an upper-division, professionally-oriented business degree for individuals who are seeking a broad overall education and solid grounding in the common body of business knowledge.
This interdisciplinary perspective provides a versatile base for mobility into all business areas that prepares students for the business world of today--and of tomorrow. The Bachelor of Science degree in Business combines the theoretical underpinnings of core business disciplines, notably management, marketing, finance, and logistics, with applied study in a practical setting, especially the small-business climates across most of the Commonwealth.
Business Degree Curriculum
Through the choice of an 18-credit option, students develop a specialty related to a key business sector. Students also develop written and oral communication skills throughout the program, acquire contemporary computer skills, and engage in active and collaborative learning.
The degree allows students throughout the Commonwealth to become familiar with the unique business environments of their local communities, a design that sets the degree apart from other business degrees offered both within the University and throughout the Commonwealth.
Business Program Mission
The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Business is to engage our learners in the core business disciplines through the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge, the integration and application of research, and the hands-on experiences provided by partnerships with the business community. BSB is a broad-based educational program.
We seek to focus on those issues faced by small and mid-sized companies by bridging the gap between academia and the business world.
Suggested Academic Plans for the Business Degree
The BSB degree offers five specific concentrations of study within the field of Business as follows:
- Accounting Option - This option prepares students to pursue careers in business with an emphasis on the areas of financial and managerial accounting, systems and controls, auditing, and taxation.
- Business Analytics Option -This option prepares students to pursue careers in applying business analytics techniques to implement appropriate decision-making outcomes using data for companies.
- Financial Services Option - This option prepares students to pursue careers in financial organizations with emphasis on wealth management, tax planning, risk management, and financial analysis.
- Individualized Option - This option provides the opportunity for students to pursue an approved business-focused interdisciplinary program of study.
- Management/Marketing Option - This option prepares students to pursue careers in business organizations with an emphasis on the skills and knowledge necessary for the business professional to function in community and regional centers of commerce.
View the suggested academic plans for each option. (Click on the "+" sign for the "Scranton Campus")
Internship and Mentorship Program for Business Majors
The Internship and the Linde Family Business Mentoring Programs are an integral part of the B.S. in Business Degree.