Meet the Marshal: Psychology student marshal, Ashley Torres

Penn State Scranton psychology student marshal, Ashley Torres

Ashley Torres

Credit: Morgan Sewack

DUNMORE, Pa. — Penn State Scranton is shining a spotlight on the campus’ student marshals who will be leading their fellow graduates during the campus’ 56th commencement ceremony procession on May 4 at The Scranton Cultural Center at the Masonic Temple. In this series, we’ll feature students who have been selected as student marshals for their respective academic programs. Join us as we delve into their academic journeys, insights, and advice for future students. 

Student Marshal:  Ashley Torres 

Major:  Psychology, B.A. 

Scranton: What are your post-graduation plans?

Torres: Attend the University of Scranton to complete my master's in clinical mental health counseling with a graduate assistantship position, while also working as a behavioral health technician with kids on the autism spectrum. After graduate school, I will obtain my LPC (licensed professional counselor) and work in the mental health field and fight the stigma associated with mental health.  

Scranton: What was your favorite memory at Penn State Scranton? 

Torres: My favorite memory at Penn State Scranton would be the Alternative Spring Break (ASB) trip to Puerto Rico and the Summer Leadership Conference (SLC) 2023. 

Scranton: What was your favorite learning experience? 

Torres: My favorite learning experience was Dr. Bishop's anthropology course (ANTH216N). This class challenged me, but I learned how to study properly in order to succeed. During this class, I learned a lot about evolutionary psychology topics, and I was able to connect those topics with things I learned in other classes, such as social psychology.  

Scranton: What experience prepared you the most for what is next? 

Torres: The Linde Mentoring Program helped prepare me for post-graduation by pairing me with a professional in the field of work I am pursuing, who would guide and mentor me throughout my own professional journey. 

Scranton: Who at Penn State Scranton has supported you and how? 

Torres: There are many people at Penn State Scranton who have supported me, starting with Jon Tobin, who helped me perfect my resume and CV, prepare for the GRE, prepare my graduate school applications, prepare me for graduate school interviews and much more. Sarah Smith has given me support and guidance going into graduate school and going into the mental health field. Professor Gina Romano and Professor Jordan Aebli taught me skills that would be critical when helping those in the mental health field, while also giving insight into what working in the mental health field is really like. Dr. Provenzano and Dr. McNair helped guide me through academics and research in order to leave Penn State Scranton with an abundance of knowledge that would enable me to succeed after graduation. Professor Hart has always supported me in the classroom with academics, but also outside the classroom; he always made me feel appreciated and welcomed with his positive attitude.  

Scranton: Do you have any advice for incoming students beginning their Penn State journey? 

Torres: I would tell incoming students to get involved with clubs and events that interest them, in order to find something besides academics that keeps them motivated and gives them an outlet to be who they are. I would also say to stay positive because all the challenges you face throughout your college journey shape who you are. I would also advise students to get familiar with the services offered on campus, such as career services with Jon Tobin, mental health services with Sarah Smith, learning and writing services and tutoring in the Learning and Writing Center.  

Meet the Marshal series 

Stay tuned as we continue to highlight our student marshals for their outstanding accomplishments. Each individual represents the dedication, talent and spirit of excellence that define the Penn State Scranton community.