We encourage all Penn State students to engage with faculty mentors in active research not only in the laboratory sciences but also in the scholarship and creative activities of all disciplines.
Explore the unknown with a faculty mentor doing active research.
As a student researcher, you have a unique opportunity to work with a member of the Penn State faculty and join in their pursuit of knowledge and new ideas. You will gain an academic advantage and learn the basic principles used to develop new theories and discover innovative ideas while working one-on-one with your teacher in the laboratory, library, studio, or field.
Involvement in undergraduate research can help you:
- Work with internationally known scholars
- Develop a better understanding of current intellectual debates
- Build experience that is valuable in business, education, and government-related careers
- Share in the excitement of discovering something new
- Build a lasting relationship with a faculty member or research team
- Possibly conduct field research locally, nationally, or internationally
- Have the opportunity to present research regionally or nationally