First-year students - get a head start with our Summer Bridge Program!
The Summer Bridge program is offered to first-year students at Penn State Scranton to provide tools and resources to jump-start their first year at Penn State University. Summer Bridge is not a course. It's a free two-week program that assists new students who are seeking to enhance skills for Math, English and college success and helps with the transition to Penn State.
Students also receive support through a series of sessions on career and academic topics including motivation, study strategies for success, academic planning, and major exploration.
In addition to structured instruction from faculty during the program, you will receive additional tutoring assistance offered by faculty and peer tutors as needed.
The program is FREE and students who successfully complete the program will be eligible for a $50 voucher that can be used at the campus bookstore.
Summer Bridge program benefits:
Previous participants experienced gains in math and/or writing skills based on pre- and post-tests.
- Math students who retook ALEKS improved scores and placed into a higher-level Math.
- Students in the Math session were less likely to drop their fall Math class.
- 90% or more agree that the program helps with: meeting the expectations of college; learning strategies used by Penn State students to achieve success; understanding personal motivation and goals for attending college; and knowing how to use Penn State technology.
- 100% of survey participants would recommend the program to other first-year students!
Summer Bridge Schedule 2023
|Daily Schedule July 31 to August 11, 2023|
|English||M-F||9:00 a.m.||1:00 p.m.|
|Success Skills and Lunch||M-F||11:00 a.m.||1:00 p.m.|
|Math||M-F||11:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m.|
|Additional individualized tutoring as needed||M-F||3:00 p.m.||4:00 p.m.|
Next Steps and Registration
- Take the ALEKS math placement test if needed/required. ALEKS placement testing begins in March.
- Plan to attend New Student Orientation by the end of July.
- Online registration opens June 1, 2023.
Important information for the first day :
- Stay tuned for additional information on first day start times and locations to meet on campus! Students will receive information by email the week before the program starts.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS REGISTERED FOR MATH ASSISTANCE: If you want to retest at the end of the Summer Bridge program, please DO NOT RETAKE your ALEKS Math placement test for the 3rd and final time until completing the Summer Bridge program. You are encouraged to work in the learning modules as this will help you to develop your math skills.
For more information on the program, call the Learning Center at 570-963-2678 or email Eileen Giovagnoli Associate Director of Learning and Disability Services at [email protected].