First-year students, get a head start with Summer Bridge.
The Summer Bridge program is offered to first-year students at Penn State Scranton to provide tools and resources to jump-start their first year at Penn State University. Summer Bridge is not a course. It's a free two-week program that assists new students who are seeking to enhance skills for Math, English and college success and helps with the transition to Penn State.
Students also receive support through a series of sessions on career and academic topics including motivation, study strategies for success, academic planning, and major exploration.
In addition to structured instruction from faculty during the program, you will receive additional tutoring assistance offered by faculty and peer tutors online through Zoom and in person if allowed.
The program is FREE and students who successfully complete the program will be eligible for a $50 voucher that can be used at the campus bookstore.
Summer Bridge program benefits:
- Participants experienced gains in math and/or writing skills based on pre- and post-tests.
- 100% of the Math students who retook ALEKS improved scores and placed into a higher-level Math.
- Students in the Math session were less likely to drop their fall Math class.
- 80% or more agree that the program helps with: meeting the expectations of college; learning strategies used by Penn State students to achieve success; understanding personal motivation and goals for attending college; and knowing how to use Penn State technology.
- 100% of survey participants would recommend the program to other first-year students!
Summer Bridge Schedule 2020
August 3 - August 14
The Summer Bridge Program will take place online.
|Daily Schedule 8/3 - 8/14|
|English||M-F||12:00 p.m.||1:00 p.m.|
|Success Skills||M-F||1:00 p.m.||2:00 p.m.|
|Math||M-F||2:00 p.m.||3:00 p.m.|
|Additional individualized tutoring||M-F||3:00 p.m.||4:00 p.m.|
Next Steps and Registration
- Take the math placement test (ALEKS) available beginning March 2, 2020.
- Registration will open June 1, 2020. Register here by July 31, 2020
Important information for the first day (August 3):
- For Students enrolled in English only or Math and English: 11:30 a.m. Registration Check In, online through Zoom. You will receive log in information through email prior to the first day.
- For students registered for Math only: 12:30 p.m. Registration Check In, online through Zoom. You will receive log in information through email prior to the first day.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS REGISTERED FOR MATH ASSISTANCE:
- If you want to retest on the last day of the Summer Bridge program, please DO NOT RETAKE your ALEKS Math placement test for the 3rd and final time until completing the Summer Bridge program. You are encouraged to work in the learning modules as this will help you to develop your math skills.
For more information on the program, call the Learning Center at 570-963-2678.