First-year students, get a head start with Summer Bridge.
The Summer Bridge program is offered to first-year students at Penn State Scranton to provide tools and resources to jump-start their first year on campus. Summer Bridge is not a course. It's a program that assists new students who place into building block or prerequisite courses, or who are seeking to enhance skills for math, English and college success.
Students also receive support through a series of sessions on career and academic topics including motivation, study strategies for success and career planning.
In addition to structured instruction from faculty during the program, you will receive additional tutorial assistance offered by faculty and peer tutors in the campus' David and Ann Hawk Student Success Center.
Students who successfully complete the program will be eligible for a $50 voucher for the campus bookstore. A free lunch is included with the program.
Students enrolled in the English program will also receive a free workbook that is used in the Fall English 04 class.
Summer Bridge program benefits:
- Participants experienced gains in math and/or writing skills based on pre- and post-tests.
- 100% of the Math students who retook ALEKS improved scores and placed into a higher level Math.
- Students in the Math session were significantly less likely to drop their fall Math class.
- 80% or more agree that the program helps with: meeting the expectations of college; learning strategies used by Penn State students to achieve success; understanding personal motivation and goals for attending college; and knowing how to use Penn State technology.
- 100% of survey participants would recommend the program to other first-year students!
Summer Bridge 2020
August 3 through August 14 (Monday through Friday)
- 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. English
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Success Skills
- 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Math
Next Steps and Registration
- Take the math placement test (ALEKS) available beginning March 2, 2020.
- Register by Friday, July 31, 2020. Registration will open June 1, 2020.
Important information for the first day (AUGUST 3):
- Please be sure to bring your Penn State Student ID card with you to the sessions.
- For Students enrolled in English only or Math and English: 8:45 am Registration Check In, Study Learning Center, Sherbine Lounge.
- For students registered for Math only - 10:30 am Registration/Check In, Student Success Center, lower level of the SLC Building.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS REGISTERED FOR MATH ASSISTANCE:
- In order to retest on the last day of class, please DO NOT RETAKE your ALEKS Math placement test until completing the Summer Bridge program. You are encouraged to work in the learning modules as this will help you to develop your math skills.
For more information on the program, call the Learning Center at 570-963-2678.