UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — The application period is now open for the General Education Faculty Scholars Program, comprised of 16 faculty members representing the various campuses, colleges and general education areas at Penn State. Scholars serve in an advisory capacity to the Office for General Education and for faculty, as general education courses are developed and/or revised.
The General Education Scholars help build the capacity of faculty to use educational change initiatives to advance greater intentionality in curricular and course design, learning outcomes and assessment, and high-impact teaching and learning practices in general education.
Applications are due by Oct. 5, and the application can be found here.
The program started one year ago as the General Education Faculty Fellows and is now transitioning to an application-based process. Ten faculty will return to the program and six new members will be selected. Typically, scholars serve three-year terms.
To maintain the balance of domain and campus representation, faculty who represent particular campuses and General Education Knowledge Domain areas are specifically requested to apply:
- University Park representing the Social and Behavioral Sciences (GS)
- University Park representing Quantification (GQ)
- University College faculty from the northern and central regions of the state (including Beaver, DuBois, Hazleton, Lehigh Valley, Schuylkill, Shenango, Wilkes-Barre and Worthington-Scranton campuses)
Selections will be based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in general education, including innovative pedagogy and course design
- Demonstrated appreciation for general education as a cornerstone of academic success and commitment to providing access and service to students across the Commonwealth
- An ability to provide a unique contribution to general education at Penn State
- The interest and ability to act as a campus and University leader in this area
To learn more about the Office for General Education, visit gened.psu.edu. For more information about the Faculty Scholars program, contact Margaret Slattery at [email protected].
The Office for General Education is part of Penn State Undergraduate Education, the academic administrative unit that provides leadership and coordination for University-wide programs and initiatives in support of undergraduate teaching and learning at Penn State. Learn more about Undergraduate Education at undergrad.psu.edu.