Scholarships and awards are a form of financial aid that does not need to be repaid. Penn State offers several sources for possible scholarships funding.
All students who are offered admission and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to Penn State are considered for scholarships awarded by the Office of Student Aid. Regardless of whether a student thinks he or she will be awarded aid, Penn State recommends that every student submit a FAFSA to be eligible for all aid consideration.
The Office of Student Aid is just one unit that offers scholarships and awards at Penn State. Additionally, scholarships and awards can be offered from academic colleges, campuses, and other administrative units, some of which will require separate applications.
Penn State Scholarship Facts
- Both Pennsylvania and non-Pennsylvania residents receive equal consideration for scholarships and awards.
- Penn State scholarships and awards comprise 9% of the available funding for undergraduate students.
- Approximately 6,700 first-year students receive a University scholarship (all campuses).
- 35% of first-year scholarship/award recipients are at University Park; the remaining 65% at Penn State campuses.
- Typical Penn State scholarships/awards are between $1,500 to $7,000 per academic year.
- Approximately 15% of first-year students receive private scholarship support.
Academic scholarships are available for Penn State Scranton students with potential or demonstrated academic success. All incoming freshmen and transfer students are automatically considered for Penn State Scranton scholarships when they apply for admission.
Returning Penn State Scranton students are asked to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit a continuing student scholarship application from the Financial Aid office prior to April 15 for maximum consideration. Students will be reviewed based on need, merit, and scholarship criteria.