Paying for summer classes.
At Penn State, the academic year begins with the fall semester and ends with the summer semester. Many students like to take classes in the summer, to earn extra credits, however they do not always have the funds to pay for the summer tuition.
If you are a continuing or returning student, summer aid may be limited if you have used the aid eligibility during the previous fall and spring semesters.
Understand your financial aid options for Summer
To receive federal financial aid for the summer 2023 , you must:
- Schedule a minimum of 6 credits for summer
- Have a 22-23 FAFSA on file with Penn State by June 2023
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress
If you meet the above criteria you will automatically be reviewed for federal financial aid for the summer
Summer Aid Checklists
Choose the appropriate checklist for step-by-step instructions on how to apply for summer aid.
Beginning April 15th, you will find your Summer Financial Aid Summary under My Finances in LionPATH. The summary will include any loans, grants or work study awards for which you qualify.
Apply for additional funding for summer.
Review your summer cost information to determine if you will need to apply for additional funding.
Apply for PA State Summer Grants:
If you received aid from the state of PA this past academic year, and you have completed 24 credits between Fall and Spring 22-23, you can apply for a PA Summer Grant.
- Students who apply and receive the grant will see it in their financial aid summary in LionPATH.
- PA Summer Grant Application Deadline is August 15
Apply for Penn State Summer Scholarship:
The Summer Success Scholarship helps current students in financial need who have fallen behind in their degree program and would benefit from taking a summer course to get caught up.
Available to eligible students at all Penn State campuses, the $2,000 summer scholarship is applied toward their summer tuition.
- Current student enrolled in at least one summer course at any Penn State campus
- Demonstrate that taking a summer course is necessary to get back on track for degree
- Demonstrate financial need
- PSU Summer Success Scholarship Application submitted by April 22
There is limited funding for the Summer Success Scholarship. Not all applicants will receive the award. Students will be notified by mid-May whether or not they have received the scholarship.