The Annual Regional Undergraduate Research Symposium
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Tenth Annual Regional Symposium hosted by Penn State Scranton will be presented online the week of April 19, 2021, culminated by a short live event on April 22nd that includes a keynote speech and announcement of winners.
Students from the eight eastern Penn State campuses will showcase posters of their scholarly research at the tenth annual Penn State Eastern Regional Undergraduate Research Symposium online via Penn State Scranton's web showcase. Penn State students will be selected by their host campuses to participate.
Students from area colleges and universities are also invited to participate in this regional research symposium.
Each campus/college can submit up to 8 projects.
The symposium is separated into four categories, and each campus can either submit up to two projects per category or, if lacking in one or more categories, can submit up to three projects per category (maximum of 8 projects).
The project categories are:
- Arts and Humanities
- Biological Sciences and Health
- Physical Sciences, Information Sciences, Engineering
- Social Sciences and Business
- Posters will be displayed online.
- Create a poster in PowerPoint for the web showcase:
- Open a New PowerPoint file.
- Click on the Design tab.
- Click on Slide Size.
- Click on Custom Slide Size
- In the Width box, set for 36 inches.
- In the Height box, set for 48 inches.
- Under Orientation, click Portrait.
- Click OK.
- Select Ensure Fit.
- Your PowerPoint slides will now be 36" x 48" Portrait
Student Participation and Key Deadlines
- Faculty must submit the student's abstract when registering the project.
- Online registration forms open April 1, 2021
- Registration to participate ends April 14, 2021
- Project submission deadline: April 14, 2021
- Students will receive a link and instructions via email on how to upload their posters for the web showcase after registration is closed.
- Abstract guidelines can be found at: Components and Sample Abstract
The following two rubrics will be used for the four categories. Students should familiarize themselves with the rubric for their respective area so as to address the points against which their project will be judged. Prizes will be awarded for the top winners in all 4 categories.
- Arts and Humanities - Physical Sciences and Information, Information Sciences, Engineering
- Biological Sciences and Health – Social Sciences and Business
Faculty are kindly asked to register to participate as a judge in an appropriate category. Projects will be available online for judging April 19th through April 21st. If you have any questions about judging, please email Dr. Asif ud-Doula at [email protected].
Schedule of Online Events for April 22, 2021:
|Welcome Message||11:30 a.m.|
|Keynote Speaker||12:00 p.m.|
|Announcement of Winners||1:00 p.m.|
(Zoom link will be provided prior to event)