Fourth Annual Penn State Northeast Regional Faculty Development Day
January 4, 2018 at 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Hawk Lecture Hall - Business Building 201
Our fourth annual event is now history, and was as successful as our previous three, even during a snow storm! The presentations on Canvas, Embedded Librarianship, Personal Learning Networks, Office 365, Unizin Engage, Seamless Student Experiences, and our Swivl video robot pilot program were very well received by attendees.
See you next year for our fifth annual event!
- The Swivl Robotic Video Recording System
- Embedded Librarians in Canvas
- Personal Learning Networks
- Office 365 Overview
- Video Outside of the Classroom
- Open Educational Resources and Unizin Engage
- Seamless Student Experience: Creating a Sense of Community and Addressing Variations of Culture/Student Preparedness
About the Presentations:
Swivl Robotic Video Recording System - This presentation provides an overview and results of a fall semester pilot undertaken in Kinesiology and Corporate Communication courses at Penn State Scranton. The Swivl system was used to record video of student presentations and game play for review. (Gina Gray, James Hart, Griff Lewis)
Embedded Librarians in Canvas - This deep thinking session will engage participants in an active learning process to brainstorm ways that an embedded librarian could prove to be a key collaboration that improves student's research and the quality of sources used. Participants will learn about what it means to be an embedded librarian, ranges of embeddedness, and the support mechanisms in place to ensure this program is a successful collaboration. (Emily Mross, Stephen Woods)
Becoming a Connected Educator: Building your own Personal Learning Network (PLN) - The session provides an overview of various strategies and online resources that help instructors stay current in their respective teaching disciplines. Social media tools as well as additional assets are explored. Participants gain an understanding of what a Personal Learning Network (PLN) is and why it can be beneficial to their teaching and learning. A variety of technologies are identified to help build, modify, and interact with a PLN. (Mark Choman)
Office 365: An Overview - Penn State is moving to Office 365, a system that students, staff, and faculty will be able to seamlessly explore new ideas, share projects, join conversations, and gather information between campuses. Discover the fifteen plus applications that Office 365 provides for your use. (Marilee Mulvey, Griff Lewis)
Video Outside of the Classroom - Discover the video resources available to PSU faculty and staff, and best practices for using video in your courses. (Brent Pennington)
Open Educational Resources and Unizin Engage - Learn about teaching and learning materials that you may freely use and reuse, without charge. (Julie Lang, Sara Davis)
Seamless Student Experience: Addressing Variations of Student Preparedness for Class - What happens when some students come prepared to class and others don't? Come learn some strategies to address this dilemma along with things to consider when planning instruction to minimize under-preparedness of students. (Amy Kuntz)
About our Presenters:
- Fred Aebli - Mr Aebli is a lecturer in information sciences and technology at Penn State Scranton.
- Mark Choman - Mr. Choman is a lecturer in information sciences and technology at Penn State Wilkes-Barre.
- Sara Davis - Ms. Davis is an instructional designer with Penn State Education Technology Services.
- Gina Gray - Ms. Gray is an assistant teaching professor in kinesiology at Penn State Scranton.
- James Hart - Mr. Hart is a lecturer in communication arts & sciences at Penn State Scranton.
- Amy Kuntz - Ms. Kuntz is an instructional designer with Penn State Education Technology Services.
- Julie Lang - Ms. Lang is an instructional designer with Penn State Education Technology Services.
- Yili Lian - Dr. Lian is assistant professor of finance at Penn State Scranton.
- Griff Lewis - Mr. Lewis is an instructional designer at Penn State Scranton.
- Emily Mross - Ms. Mross is a librarian with Penn State University Libraries, Harrisburg.
- Marilee Mulvey is director of information technology and a lecturer in information sciences and technology at Penn State Scranton.
- Brent Pennington - Mr. Pennington is an IT Support Specialist at Penn State Scranton.
- Stephen Woods - Mr. Woods is a librarian with Penn State University Libraries, University Park.