Frequently Asked Questions
How long is a typical writing tutoring session?
A typical writing tutoring session is between 30 minutes to an hour long, depending on how long you think you and your tutor will need. It would be helpful to have your writing assignment sheet, a rubric, and your paper ready to go at the start of the session so you can make the most out of your time.
What can I expect from a typical writing tutoring session?
- Our writing tutors provide non-judgmental and supportive feedback to you, no matter how far along you are in your writing process!
- Our writing tutors will go through your paper with you and work with you on your major writing concerns. Writing tutoring sessions are more conversational and sometimes we cannot cover all concerns in one session.
- The tutor will ask you to read your draft aloud (or if you prefer, the tutor can read it aloud).
- The writing tutor will address your main concerns such as grammar, content, clarity, or anything else you would like to focus on during your session.
- Tutors also help you to learn to recognize and correct grammar mistakes, but they will not serve as editors or proofreaders of your work.
What documents should I bring to my appointment?
You should bring anything you have written so far, along with the assignment sheet and/or rubric. If you are looking to brainstorm ideas for a paper, the assignment sheet and rubric is all you need.
How can the Writing Center help me?
Our Writing Center tutors engage with students in conversation about their project, listen or read paper drafts aloud, and help students put their thoughts into words. We provide individualized writing support in any discipline and work with you through the writing process.
Is there a fee for using the Writing Center?
All our Writing Center services are free!
Do I need to make an appointment to speak with a Writing Center tutor?
- Yes. You can make an appointment to speak with a tutor through the WC Online.
- If you want feedback but do not want to meet with a tutor, you can submit your paper to Online Writing Center, the Blue and White OWL. There you will receive written feedback on your draft.
- If you cannot meet during the times available, please contact the Writing Center
Are writing tutors available to help with writing in all subjects?
Yes! We can assist you in any course you need to write in, whether it is a business course, a nursing course, or a psychology course. Any class you have a written assignment, presentation, or research project, we are there to help!