Matt Nied is the June Employee of the Month at Penn State Scranton

DUNMORE, Pa. — Matt Nied, assistant director of Programs, Unions and Students at Penn State Scranton, has been named the campus' Employee of the Month for June.

He was nominated for the honor by recent graduate and outgoing Student Government Association (SGA) President  Ashli Daley and Director of Business Services Gene Grogan.

“Ever since I've been a student at Penn State Scranton, Matt has been a source of support for me and other students on campus,” Daley wrote. “For me, Matt has been the driving force behind me being a very involved student within our campus community, keeping me involved in organizations such as Student Government, THON, and New Student Orientation.

"The support that Matt has showed me during my time at Penn State has challenged me as a person to become a strong-willed and confident individual that will be a valuable addition to society.

"For the very first time, Matt took about 14 students to Beaumont, Texas, to assist residents and organizations who were affected by Hurricane Harvey last year. This year, Matt served as the co-adviser of THON, which had an extremely successful year by surpassing its fundraising goal for the year. Matt also served as a co-adviser of SGA, where I worked closely with him as the SGA president to ensure that students had a voice, and that their voices were being heard.

"He certainly went above and beyond in his role of an adviser by putting in extra time and hours to ensure that we had a successful year. He has embodied each aspect of the campus' strategic goals, especially creating a welcoming campus, as he maintains an open door policy, and makes himself available for any and every student, and increasing student engagement, by pushing students to their fullest potential.”

Grogan added, "For the past few years Matt Nied has been a driving force for helping support the students and their successful THON fundraising activities — not only during the months of fundraising, but Matt traveled to University Park with our students for the full 46-plus hours, giving up personal time to help our students. He goes above and beyond!"

The Employee of the Month recognition was initiated by Chancellor Marwan Wafa as a way of distinguishing staff members who "go above and beyond the call of duty" in serving Penn State Scranton.

Congratulations, Matt!