- 1923 - Pennsylvania State College (not yet a university) established a branch school in the city of Scranton - offering evening technical institute programs.
- 1951 - The school was renamed The Scranton Center and began offering day and evening courses.
- 1953 - Courses were redesigned as associate degree programs.
- 1968 - Moved to its current location in Dunmore and was named Penn State Worthington Scranton.
- 1968 - Began offering the first two years of PSU bachelor's degree programs.
- 1991 - Associate degree in Nursing offered.
- 1995 - Offered the first campus baccalaureate degree program in Nursing.
- 1996 - Associate degree in Occupational Therapy offered. (Program has since been discontinued)
- 1997 - Associate degree in Human Development and Family studies offered.
- 1997 - B.S. in Business offered.
- 1998 - The Gallagher Conference Center was built.
- 1998 - B.S. in Human Development and Family Studies offered.
- 1999 - B.S. degree in Information Sciences and Technology offered.
- 2000 - Campus CEO James Gallagher retires; Dr. Mary-Beth Krogh-Jespersen named PSWS chancellor.
- 2002 - Nittany Lion Sculpture Garden dedicated.
- 2004 -- Bachelor degrees in American Studies and Letters, Arts & Sciences offered. (American Studies degree has since been discontinued).
- 2004 - Nursing Suite renovations are completed.
- 2006 - Bookstore and Cafeteria renovations and creation of The View Cafe.
- 2007 - Groundbreaking for new Business Building.
- 2008 - Campus celebrates its 40th anniversary; reunion held on campus for members of the Class of 68-69.
- 2009 - Completion and dedication of The Business Building.
- 2010 - Renovation of the Biology, Chemistry and Physics labs.
- 2010 - Completion of The David and Ann Hawk Student Success Center in the Study Learning Center.
- 2010 - B.S. in Science offered
- 2012 - Campus hosts summer Board of Trustees meeting
- 2013 - B.S. in Business offered (w/accounting option)
- 2014 - B.A. in Corporate Communication offered
- 2014 - Groundbreaking for the Matt McGloin Baseball Field.
- 2015 - Chancellor Mary-Beth Krogh-Jespersen retires; Dr. Marwan Wafa named new chancellor.
- 2015 - B.A./B.S. in Psychology offered.
- 2016 - New side entrance-way completed for the Study Learning Center.
- 2016 - B.S. in Biology offered
- 2017 - PSU Board of Trustees approves campus name change to Penn State Scranton, effective May 1, 2018.
- 2017 - Ground floor renovations completed on the ground floor of the Dawson Building, including new offices: Academic Affairs Suite; Admissions Suite; Alumni and Community Relations Suite; Bursar's Office; Business Services office; Human Resources office; upgrades to classrooms; and a new conference room.
- 2018 - Campus name changed to Penn State Scranton.
- 2018 - Project and Supply Chain Management degree is added to the campus' four-year degree offerings, bringing the total to 13.
- 2018 - Campus purchases the Grainger Building on the O'Neill Highway.
History of Penn State & the Scranton Campus
The Pennsylvania State University was chartered in 1855 as the Farmer's High School. A pioneer institution designed to provide higher education for all qualified students, it admitted its first students in 1859 and graduated its first class in 1861.
Renamed the Agricultural College of Pennsylvania in 1862, it became the land grant college of the Commonwealth in 1863. The name was changed again in 1874 to the Pennsylvania State College, and in 1953 to The Pennsylvania State University.
The Scranton campus was named in memory of Worthington Scranton (1876-1955), a prominent industrialist and civic leader of northeastern Pennsylvania. The campus, one of 24 Penn State facilities throughout the Commonwealth, is located on a forty-five-acre tract of land just off Exit 188 of Interstate 81.