What is a personal care home administrator?
Personal care home administrators (PCHA) oversee the day-to-day operations of personal care homes. These care home facilities provide a variety of services to people who require assistance with daily living activities due to illness, disability or old age.
Prior to initial employment as personal care home administrator, candidates must successfully complete a 100-hour training course. Current administrators must complete at least 24 hours of training each year. All direct-care staff must complete 12 hours of training annually. In addition, individuals providing elder care for family members may find some courses to be of value and are welcome to attend.
PCHA 100-Hour Training Options
Fulfill your required training online with expert Penn State faculty. Penn State Scranton Center for Business Development and Community Outreach in partnership with other Penn State campuses.
All options are online via zoom and cost $1450. Dates and times vary. Two accelerated options are available.
Online PCHA Training Options for 2024
|Delivery||Dates||Day/s of Week||Time||Campus/Registration|
|Accelerated/Online - Spring||1/12/2024 to 2/3/2024||Fr., Sat., Sun.||Varies||Register for Accelerated Summer through
Penn State York
|Online - Spring||3/4/2024 to 4/5/2024||
Mon., Wed., Fri.-(end at Noon
|8:00 a.m. to
|Register for Fall through
Penn State DuBois
|Online - Spring||2/27/2024 to 5/23/2024||Tues., Thurs., and some Wed.||Varies||Register through
Penn State Abington
For more information and eligible discounts, please contact [email protected] or phone 570-963-2600.
More about PCHA Training
All individuals who completed the 100-hour standardized department-approved administrator training course after January 31, 2009, must successfully complete the orientation program for new administrators and a competency test with a passing score in accordance with 55 Pa.Code § 2600.64(a)(3) relating to administrator training and orientation.
Penn State is an approved provider through the Department of Public Welfare under the Personal Care Homes Licensing Regulations as of April 23, 2005, published in 55 Pa. Code Chapter 2600 (35 Pa.B.2499).
PCHA Required Orientation
This free 6-hour class must be attended before, during, or after the 100-Hour Training and exam, and must be completed before you begin acting in the capacity of a Personal Care Home Administrator. This free program is very informative and you must register to attend. Visit the PA Department of Human Services homepage and search for the Personal Care Home Administrator Orientation Schedule which shows the various locations of the training across the state.
Qualiﬁcations necessary to attend this program (must have one):
- An associate degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university.
- A license as a registered nurse from the Pennsylvania Department of State.
- A license as a licensed practical nurse from the Pennsylvania Department of State and 1-year experience in a related field.
- A license as a nursing home administrator from the Pennsylvania Department of State.
- For a home serving 8 or fewer residents, a general education development diploma or high school diploma and 2 years direct care of administrative experience in the human services field.
Personal Care Home Administrator Courses (the 100-hr. training contains all of the courses below. These courses can be taken individually. Please call 570-963-2509 or email [email protected] to request to register for individual courses)
- Personal Care Services and Hygiene (0.9 CEU)
- Certification in CPR (0.7 CEU)
- American Heart Association Individuals with a valid certification in Adult CPR and First Aid are exempt from this course. Proof of certification is required.
- Nutrition, Food Handling, and Sanitation (0.7 CEU)
- Care for Residents with Dementia (0.8 CEU)
- Abuse and Neglect Prevention and Reporting (0.6 CEU)
- Cultural Competency (0.3 CEU)
- Gerontology (0.6 CEU)
- Writing Assessments (0.5 CEU)
- Care for Residents with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities (0.2 CEU)
- Care for Residents with Mental Illness (0.9 CEU)
- Medication Procedures (0.7 CEU)
- Fire Prevention (0.4 CEU)
- Recreation (0.4 CEU)
- Budgeting and Financial Recordkeeping (0.4 CEU)
- Community Resources (0.4 CEU)
- Staff Supervision (0.8 CEU)
Attendance Policy: Attendance in each class is required. If a class is missed, it must be made up with another provider or taken the next time it is offered.
Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds for classes missed, but you are welcome to take the missed classes with us the next time offered at no additional cost. Once all 100 hours have been attended, you are eligible to take the PCHA Exam.
The PCHA exam will be offered in person on campus or via Zoom. Please call 570-963-2509 or email [email protected] for more information.
Licensed Nursing Home Administrators who wish to become licensed as a Personal Care Home Administrator must complete the orientation and exam. The fee for the exam is $150. Please contact 814-375-4772 or [email protected] to schedule an appointment to take this exam.
Professional Licensure and Certification Compliance
Many US states and territories require professional licensure/certification to be employed. If you plan to pursue employment in a licensed profession after completing this program, please visit the Professional Licensure/Certification Disclosures by State interactive map.
Note: The University reserves the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances.