Certificate and professional CEU’s awarded upon successful completion of this course for RN’s, PCHA and ALA
Hola, me llamo Pat y soy su enfermera (o)
(Hello, my name is Pat and I will be your nurse.)
Spanish For The Medical Professional (SPAN 5018) is a course designed to help medical professionals to communicate effectively through conversational competence at a basic level with Spanish-speaking patients in a medical setting.
By the end of the course, students will:
- Apply medical vocabulary in routine medical situations.
- Write simple memos and health related reports.
- Demonstrate basic understanding of some Hispanic/Latino cultural medical practices and the patient-doctor dynamic and relationship.
- Describe signs and symptoms from the most common diseases in the United States
- Demonstrate basic skills to conduct a patient interview in Spanish.
- All online educational materials, including an eBook and four months unlimited access to an online learning platform will be provided.
- Students may purchase their own hard copy textbook for future use:
- Basic Spanish for Medical Personnel: 2nd Enhanced Edition. Ana C. Jarvis Houghton
- Mifflin Company. 2011. ISBN-10: 1285052188 / ISBN-13: 9781285052188
About the Instructor
Gerardo Lazaro, Ph.D., CHI™
Dr. Lazaro is bilingual and multicultural and has earned his Ph.D. in public health, is a certified health care interpreter, educator, and dynamic biomedical professional working to eliminate health care disparities while encouraging research and learning in collaborative environments. In addition, his academic development work includes the authorship of a textbook for basic medical interpreter training and a medical terminology workbook for medical interpreters.
Dates: July 12-September 29, 2021 (no class September 6)
Times: Mondays/Wednesdays at 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Location: Class is being offered via Zoom Technology
Cost: $1,375 - Discounts offered for Penn State alumni or current employees.
To register or obtain a discount code, contact Jo Ann Durdan, Education Program Specialist at 570-963-2600 or email [email protected].
Nursing Continuing Professional Development (RN)
This activity has been submitted for 20.0 contact hours from the Penn State College of Nursing. Penn State College of Nursing is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Partial credits will not be given.
(You must provide your RN license number and current email, plus your course evaluation prior to awarding your certificate of completion)
Personal Care Home Administrators, Assisted Living Administrators
The Bureau of Human Services Licensing has approved this course for 6.0 CEU’s toward the annual 24 CEU’s of training. (You must provide a copy of your PCHA and/or your ALA certificate, and completed evaluation prior to awarding your certificate of completion.)
Note: The University reserves the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances.