Mission of Honors Program at Penn State Scranton
- Explore sources of knowledge beyond the standard curriculum while maintaining the highest standards of excellence in all academic endeavors.
- Develop both interdisciplinary and global awareness, leading to the ability to understand and collaborate with individuals having different intellectual and cultural perspectives.
- Actively engage with diverse college and local communities in the discovery and application of knowledge to benefit these communities.
- Conduct all activities with the highest standards of personal integrity
Objectives of the Honors Program
In order to enact the mission statement, the Honors Program at Penn State Scranton has adopted the following objectives so that each honors student will:
- Develop and implement a rigorous program of study that will include the opportunity for enhancing personal creativity.
- Incorporate an interdisciplinary perspective within their program of study.
- Seek to develop an understanding of cultural differences inherent in, but not limited to, international relations.
- Seek out co-curricular opportunities in collaboration with School and College administrators that will enhance intellectual and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well in teams and to take on leadership roles.
- Apply their knowledge and critical thinking skills while enhancing personal growth by seeking out campus leadership roles.
In recognition of their academic achievement, honors students who participated in the honors program for three or more consecutive years wear white graduation sashes at commencement.
Yellow honor cords are worn by students participating in the program for two or more consecutive years.