If you are an early adopter who embraces the latest technology and would like to utilize it in the modern business environment, this information technology option is for you.
What are business applications?
Business applications are programs and technologies that companies and organizations use to perform tasks and manage different aspects of their business operations. These applications help a business and its employees work more effectively, make informed decisions, and better serve their customers.
Business Applications Option Highlights
The Business Applications Option is offered through Penn State Scranton’s Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and prepares students to pursue careers in information technology with an emphasis on the systems processes and business operations integration.
Students who enroll in the business applications major will get hands-on experience with real-world applications using computer programs and business solutions vital for the day-to-day operation including:
- project management
- systems analysis
- customer relationship management
- human resources management
- communication and collaboration
- enterprise resource planning
- managing financial transactions and reports to keep a company’s finances in order.
They will also gain valuable domain knowledge in specific business functions such as accounting, marketing, business management, supply chain, and finance to better solve business and organizational problems with the use of information technology.
Related coursework for this IT option
ACCTG 211: Financial and Managerial Accounting for Decision Making
- Select one of the following (3 credits):
- FIN 301: Corporation Finance
- MGMT 301: Basic Management Concepts
- MKTG 301: Principles of Marketing
- SCM 301: Supply Chain Management
- Select 6 credits, with at least 3 credits at the 400 level from: ACCTG, BA, BLAW, EBF, ECON, ENTR, FIN, FINSV, HPA, IB, LER, MIS, MGMT, MKTG, RM, SCM, or STAT
Careers in Business Applications
Business applications technology is used by just about every successful business in every industry, including construction, education, healthcare, agriculture, or finance.
Here are just a few examples of the many IT career opportunities in today’s expanding IT job market.
- Business Technology Analyst
- Business Intelligence & Data Analytics Developer
- IT Consultant
- IT Project Manager