120 Ridge View Drive
Dunmore, PA 18512
I am a solid-state physics experimentalist with a strong interest in educational physics. My area of research — complemented by a rather extensive teaching experience both in larger and smaller Physics Departments — is in superconductivity, spin-dependent transport in thin film devices and, in general, in the phenomenology associated with strongly correlated electron systems. In educational physics I am mainly interested in devising and publishing ever more engaging and revealing experiments for instructional labs beyond the first year of college.
2014 - 2021 SUNY Morrisville
Assistant Professor involved in developing original experiments for 100 and 200-level University Physics courses.
2010 - 2014 Miami University
Visiting Assistant Professor, working independently and with Dr. Burcin Bayram:
- The science and pedagogy of an advanced laboratory course of atomic and molecular spectroscopy
2006 - 2010 West Virginia University
Visiting Assistant Professor, working with Dr. Sergei Urazhdin and Dr. David Lederman:
- Quantum effects in ultra thin films. Films grown using MBE and characterized using AFM and STM, SQUID magnetometry, etc.
2004 - 2005 University of Kentucky
Postdoctoral Scholar, working with Dr. Joseph Brill:
- Research on transition metal oxides – especially ruthenates – using various techniques such as calorimetry and SQUID magnetometry
- Electro-optical properties of charge-density wave materials
1998 - 2004 University of Kentucky
Research assistant, working with Dr. Kwok-Wai Ng:
- Cuprate and manganite crystal sample synthesis and research
- Various techniques of high quality thin film deposition and micro-circuitry
- UHV in-situ junction fabrication and manipulation
- Cryogenic techniques – e.g., operating a dilution refrigerator such as Oxford’s Kelvinox
- STM surface mapping, including low temperature
1994 - 1997 Institute of Physical-Chemistry of Romanian Academy
- Research Assistant in the laboratory of Chemical Kinetics where I mainly investigated theoretically turbulence and other types of complex behavior in chemical systems
- M. Freamat, Introductory Classical Mechanics - Lab Manual, subsidized for open-access publication by the SUNY OER Program (2020-21).
- J. Priest and M. Freamat, Energy: Principles, Problems, Alternatives, 7th Edition. (Kendall/Hunt, 2013).
- Associated ancillary materials: Solution Manual, Lecture Slides (last time revised in June-July 2020).
- S. B. Bayram and M. Freamat, A Spectral Analysis of Laser Induced Fluorescence, BFY II Proceedings, (2015).
- S. B. Bayram, M. Freamat, and P.T. Arndt, Rotational spectra of N_2^+: An advanced undergraduate laboratory in atomic and molecular spectroscopy, Am. J. Phys. 83, 867 (2015).
- S. B. Bayram, and M. Freamat, Vibrational spectra of N_2: An advanced undergraduate laboratory in atomic and molecular spectroscopy, Am. J. Phys. 80, 664 (2012). The editor adopted one of the figures in our paper to be on the cover of the journal.
- L. Ladino, J. W. Brill, M. Freamat, M. Uddin, and D. Dominko, Dynamics of the electro-optic response of blue bronze K0.3MoO3, Phys. Rev. B 74, 115104 (2006).
- J.W. Brill, L. Ladino, M. Freamat, M. Uddin, and R.C. Rai, Dyamics of the electro-optic response of charge-density-wave conductors, J. Phys. IV (Paris) 131, 135 (2005).
- M. Freamat, X. N. Lin, V. Durairaj, S. Chikara, G. Cao, and J.W. Brill, Thermal and magnetic properties of the spin-chain material, Pr3RuO7 Phys. Rev. B, 72, 014459 (2005).
- M. Freamat and K.-W. Ng, Exchange field effect on the Andreev bound states studied by ferromagnet/high-Tc superconductor interface, Int. J. Mod. Phys. B 19, 495 (2005).
- M. Freamat and K.-W. Ng, Andreev bound states in normal and ferromagnet/high-Tc superconducting tunnel junctions, Physica C, 400/1-2, 1-6 (2003).
- M. Freamat and K.-W. Ng, Order parameter oscillations in Fe/Ag/Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8-δ tunnel junctions, Phys. Rev. B, 68, 060507(R) (2003).
- M. H. Badr, M. Freamat, Y. Sushko, and K.-W. Ng, Temperature and field dependence of the energy gap of MgB2 /Pb planar junctions, Phys. Rev. B, 65, 184516 (2002).
- PhD in Physics, University of Kentucky
- MS in Physics, University of Kentucky
- BS in Physics, University of Bucharest, Romania
Papers and Presentations
- Attended Experiments on Photon Quantum Mechanics, an Advanced Laboratory Physics Association (ALPhA) Immersion, Colgate University (2019).
- M. Freamat and M. Civiletti, Study of the Effectiveness of a Scale-Up Pedagogy Implementation for Introductory Physics (PHYS 107) at SUNY Morrisville, presented at the Alumni Board (2017).
- M. Freamat and B. Bayram, Vibrational and Rotational Spectra of Diatomic Molecules: Two Experiments in an Advanced Laboratory Course of Atomic and Molecular Spectroscopy, Conference on Laboratory Instruction Beyond the First Year of College (BFY), University of Maryland, MD, (2015).
- Burcin Bayram and M. Freamat, An Experiment Revealing some Characteristics of Diatomic Molecules by Spectral Analysis of Laser Induced Fluorescence of Iodine, Conference on Laboratory Instruction Beyond the First Year of College (BFY), University of Maryland, MD, (2015).
- M. Civiletti and M. Freamat, Building a Pedagogically Sound Second-Year Physics Course in a Newly Revived STEM Program, Conference on Laboratory Instruction Beyond the First Year of College (BFY), University of Maryland, MD, (2015).
- M. Freamat and B. Bayram, A laser-induced iodine fluorescence setup to explore molecular spectroscopy, Conference on Laboratory Instruction Beyond the First Year, U. Penn and Drexel U., Philadelphia, PA (2012).
- M. Freamat, Writing-conscious short and long assignments in an introductory Physics course, MU Summer Workshop on Improving Student Writing and Learning, Oxford, OH (2012).
- M. Freamat, A. Kline, P. Miller, E. Moreno, D. Vassiliadis, Magnetism: a teachable tidbit, WVU Summer Institute on Undergraduate Science Education, Morgantown, WV (2009).
- S. Urazhdin, D. Lederman, M. Cheon, M. Freamat, X. Liu, J. Furdyna, Observation of optically induced anomalous Hall effect, APS March Meeting, Denver, CO (2007).
- L. Ladino, M. Uddin, M. Freamat, and J. Brill, Dynamics of the electro-optic response of blue bronze, APS March Meeting, Baltimore, MD (2006).
- J. Brill, L. Ladino, M. Freamat, M. Uddin, D. Dominko, Temperature dependence of the electro-optic relaxation time of blue bronze, APS March Meeting, Baltimore, MD (2006).
- M. Freamat, X. N. Lin, V. Durairaj, S. Chikara, G. Cao and J. Brill, Thermodynamic properties of Pr3RuO7, M. Freamat and K.-W. Ng, LOFF superconductivity in the proximity region of a d-wave superconductor/ferromagnet tunneling junction, APS March Meeting, Los Angeles, CA (2005).
- M. Freamat and K.-W. Ng, Exchange field effect on the Andreev bound state of high-Tc superconductors, APS March Meeting, Montreal, Canada (2004).
- M. Freamat and K.-W. Ng, Spatial oscillations of the superconductive order parameter in ferromagnet/ (d+is)-wave superconductor planar junctions, APS March Meeting, Austin, TX (2003).
- M. Badr, M. Freamat, Y. Sushko, and K.-W. Ng, Study of the temperature and field dependence of MgB2 energy gap, APS March Meeting, Indianapolis, IN (2002).
- M. Freamat and K.-W. Ng, Structure of tunneling conductance spectra of NIS and SIS junctions on Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8 APS March Meeting, Seattle, WA, (2001).