Chorale, Jazz, or Show Choir
There are many opportunities for the musically inclined at Penn State Scranton! We offer a variety of for-credit music courses in music appreciation, music theory, as well as world music, jazz, popular music, and integrating music and animation with technology.
Penn State Scranton offers high quality instrumental and choral performing ensemble opportunities in a variety of formats for instrumentalists and vocalists of all ability.
Our Music Ensembles
- The Penn State Scranton Chorale is a soprano, alto, tenor and bass (SATB) mixed chorus and performs a wide variety of choral music. Chorale can be taken for academic General Education credits as MUSIC 104 and these credits count toward an undergraduate degree. No audition or previous choral experience required.
- The Roc[k]tet is a select group of eight mixed voices; soprano, alto, tenor and bass, that perform music in a show-choir style. Membership to The Roc[k]tet is by audition only. The Penn State Scranton Campus Jazz Band is a medium-size instrumental jazz ensemble that performs a variety of instrumental music. Membership is open to all students who have previous background in playing a musical instrument.
- The Campus Jazz Band can be taken for academic General Education credits as MUSIC 083 and these credits will count toward an undergraduate degree. The student must have their own instrument and no audition is necessary.
List of Annual Musical Performances
Penn State Scranton maintains a full slate of exciting concerts year-round:
- Annual Holiday Campus Concert
- Annual Community Holiday Concert at Grace Bible Church in Dunmore
- Annual Community Spring Concert in April
Community concerts are open to the public free of charge.
Other campus performances include:
- Special Campus Events
- Nurse's Pinning Ceremony
Sharon Ann Toman, Associate Teaching Professor of Music
Phone: 570-963-2696 Email: [email protected]
Location: Dawson 212B