Penn State Scranton is a part of the Commonwealth Campuses of the Pennsylvania State University. The campus is named in memory of Worthington Scranton (1876-1955), a prominent industrialist and civic leader of northeastern Pennsylvania. The campus, one of twenty-four Penn State campuses throughout the Commonwealth, is located on a forty-five-acre tract of land just off Exit 188 (Dunmore/Throop) from Interstate 81.
The campus began in 1951 as part of the General Extension division of the Pennsylvania State College. Its first home was the Longfellow School Annex at 1625 Wyoming Ave in Scranton, Pennsylvania, which it occupied until June 1968. With money raised through contributions from private citizens and local industries, the Advisory Board of the Scranton Campus purchased the present site in 1962. The campus opened in September 1968 as a member of Penn State's Commonwealth Campus System. Read more about our history.
Penn State Scranton offers academic excellence in student-centered learning communities. Classes are small, providing ample opportunity for personal interaction with faculty and staff. Ouf-of-class experiences, both on campus and in the local communities, are plentiful. These activities are designed to develop leadership skills and enhance future career opportunities. Our campus, as part of the Commonwealth Campuses represents a family of faculty, staff, students and alumni—all with a passionate commitment to excellence and academic achievement.