Penn State id+ Cards

Penn State id+ Cards

What is a Penn State id+ Card?
The Penn State id+ Card is the official University identification card. It provides easy access to Penn State resources... and packs a wealth of innovative technologies into one powerful and convenient card!

Why do I need a Penn State id+ Card? What can I do with it?
Your id+ card is used for a number of University functions and should be kept with you at all times, per University policy AD24.
In addition to visual presentation, your id+ card may be required to access University services via an electronic reading system.

You may need to present your id+ card when:

  • Utilizing University Library services
  • Reviewing your academic and University financial records
  • Picking up your free copies of newspapers like USA Today and the New York Times through the Newspaper Readership Program (students only)

More information about your card can be found at:

Do I have to get a Penn State id+ Card?
Yes. Students, faculty, and staff must obtain a Penn State id+ card. Penn State Policy AD-24 states that you should carry your Penn State id+ card with you at all times. Presentation of the id+ card is required to access various University services or systems.

How Do I get my Penn State id+ Card?

Penn State Scranton students can get their Penn State id+ card by bringing photo identification to Dawson Room 115 from 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday, and by appointment for your convenience. Please call 963-2551 to schedule a convenient time to get your id+ card.

The first id+ card received is issued at no charge. You will need to present valid identification: such as a driver's license, passport, or military ID - in order to receive your id+ card.

What if I lose or damage my card? What if my name changes?
We can issue you a new id+ card at the current replacement fee. The filing of a police report does not waive the replacement fee of a stolen card. Only the latest card printed is valid. Please come to Dawson 115 with another form of photo identification to obtain a new card.
Replacement of a card when there is a change in the cardholder status or name is free; however, the old card must be presented in exchange.

Access Account Activation:
For more information on the electronic account activation process, visit:

How To Get Help:

Information Technology Support


Request help via online form

Call us: 570-963-2551