Begin your college experience with PaSSS.
The Pathway to Success: Summer Start (PaSSS) program is a designed to help you transition to college life while also saving you money on college tuition! The Penn State Scranton PaSSS program is a transformative experience and a fantastic opportunity to propel you towards your academic and career goals.
We are excited for you to begin your college career through the Pathway to Success: Summer Start Program, also referred to as PaSSS. Students at select Commonwealth Campuses are invited to participate in the Pathway to Success: Summer Start (PaSSS) program, which provides students with tools and resources to increase the likelihood that they will graduate and earn their Penn State degree on time, with less loan debt.
PaSSS 2022 will take place during Summer Session 2 from June 29 to August 12.
PaSSS Program Benefits
- Jump start your college career in a more relaxed setting
- Take two courses that will fulfill graduation requirements
- Participate in a Math and English Academy to provide you with a skill set to help you excel during your first year at Penn State
- Become familiar with faculty and staff while learning about resources available on our campus
- Meet classmates and develop new friendships before the semester begins
- Build your resume by getting paid experience
- Connect with upperclassman through an assigned peer mentor who can help you navigate your college experience
- A $2,000 PaSSS Scholarship toward your first summer classes. Additional scholarship funding up to $4,000 is available for your second and third summers
- PaSSS lasts six weeks during the summer prior to your first year at Penn State.
- If you successfully complete your first full year at Penn State, you will be eligible to continue the program and earn additional scholarship awards to take classes in your second and third summers of enrollment at a Commonwealth campus.
- You will take six credits (two courses) during the first summer and up to twelve credits (four courses) during the following two summer(s).
- You can earn engagement funds for working on campus, for engaging in research with a faculty member, or to earn a stipend for an unpaid internship or campus or community service project.
- You will be paired with a peer mentor who will assist with the transition to college; in the second summer, you can become a student-mentor to assist new PaSSS students.
Enrollment in the PaSSS 2022 Program
The 2022 PaSSS program runs June 29–August 12.
- Applicants must be first year students who have been offered admission to Penn State Scranton.
- Qualified candidates will be contacted by the admissions office with a decision on PaSSS eligibility and next steps.
- Candidates who are offered a spot in the PaSSS program must then accept their offer of admission to Penn State Scranton to confirm their participation in the program.
IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION: Students participating in the Pathway to Success: Summer Start program at Penn State Scranton should file the 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to obtain any federal student aid for the summer 2022 semester, including grants and Stafford Direct Student Loans. The 2022-23 FAFSA is applicable only to the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters.
- The 2021-22 FAFSA can be accessed online at fafsa.gov. Penn State’s school code is 003329.
- If you have questions, please contact the Admissions and Financial Office at 570-963-2500.
New Student Orientation and Fall Courses
As a member of the PaSSS program you must attend New Student Orientation (NSO). During NSO you will be registering for summer and fall courses. You may be required to complete the ALEKS math assessment before registering for NSO. If you have questions regarding NSO, please contact the Advising Center at (570) 963-2686.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Admissions at [email protected] or 570-963-2500.